How to set up a modem and router?
So I’m in college and my dorm only has one ethernet port and no wifi. I connect the ethernet cable to my laptop to access the internet but I can’t set them up.
- Go online, I'm sure you'll see the steps on this.04
- Use your phone on wifi as a hotspot.21
- See the RA (Resident Assistant) on your floor. Some dorms require a special setup for DNS or a special program that insures your computer meets the schools network requirement before you can access the Internet.
You can maybe also get a ethernet switch from them that will give you more than one port for your room.30
- This is something you would need to check with your school's IT department. I don't think they would like it if someone just plugged in a random Wi-Fi access point.20
- Well, first problem is you never use a modem with an ethernet port from another network! Modems are to connect to NON- ethernet connections, like cable or dsl. Second is your school may prohibit use of a router being connected to the school network as it presents a LARGE security issue for the network! SO check with the IT department .. if they allow routers, you simply setup the routers wan ethernet port to the ethernet port on the wall. (If the router is a combined modem router... you have the wrong device!)50
- follow the instructions.
or find a person there good with tech.00
- aside from a router you could try to find an ethernet HUB. Its old school but about 25$ Other than that, one computer with newest version of windows can be the main c omputer with others running OFF it on wifi. the cheap computer BECOMES THE router. You set up a network on it. but that will be a drain on YOUR resources unless you buy a beater-old- computer. Gotta suck up to somebody in tech classes * grin *01
- When you get your modem from the ISP you should plug it in and it will download the settings from your ISP. The router will also work with default settings, but certain settings you might want to change. These settings include the router login information, the WiFi password, etc.00
- How many devices are being used in my wifi?
- Why is the wifi so slow in my phone?
- Why won’t my iPhone 6S connect to my WiFi at home?
- Anker Powercore ll Slim 10000 vs Anker Powercore ll 10000?
- How do I live with bad wifi?
- So, what's the best way to keep Big Brother off your computer?
- Windows XP Ethernet Controller problem.?
- What is the cheapest way to get in-home wifi?
- What would be the easiest way to get wi-fi in my man cave/garage.?
- What is this port called where WiFi goes into?