Yes, I can. Easily.
1. Recent revealed prophecy.
2. Bible and other scriptures as the word of God.
3. Church tradition.
Can You Rank These in Order of Importance to You-Bible as Word of God, Church Tradition, Recent Revealed Prophecy?
The question has been asked what I mean by church tradition. I think it is a fair question, so I would like to respond this way. Church tradition is something than any religious body holds to that is not based squarely on scriptural teachings. Examples: Catholics venerate the saints, Orthodox hold to the perpetual virginity, Lutherans usually to infant baptism, Baptists to "Once Saved Always Saved", and I think it's pretty common among different branches of religion. Church traditional
- All equally important ....which is non what-so-ever.22
- The Bible and Oral Tradition go hand in hand like the Apostle Paul said. There is no more “recent revealed prophecy”.20
- They are all equally irrelevant.01
- GOD rules over HIS children. (not mankind nor a church)
we who believe are the church.
pillars in the temple. (some forget this simple fact)
GOD has many diverse positions in HIS TEMPLE.
teachers are not really at the top. (but some people have many gifts)
recent reveled prophecy? what is this?
prophecies that are finally coming to pass?
... or totally new ones that someone makes up?
the church cannot save us. (that's JESUS role)
HE is head of the church.
I would question if you were in a church that JESUS is ruling over.
many churches today would not allow JESUS into them. (let alone rule over them)
HE is the head of the body. (not some man)
THE BIBLE is our guide to all truth.
but it takes a servant who is learned to share things properly.
the spirit of truth and the spirit of error exist today.
lets all be careful which one is in our church.20
- Edit to David:
What is your interpretation of 'church traditions'? Mine is a FORM OF WORSHIP not found in scripture, thus Jehovah's Witnesses haven't church traditions.
Here are some interesting quotes:
Scholar Charles Freeman explains that it is because what the Bible says did not agree with their idea that Jesus is God. Jesus’ own words show that God is greater than Jesus. Because these leaders could not deny his words, church tradition and the opinions of men became more important for them than the Gospels. Even today, many church leaders think that the sayings of those whom they call the Church Fathers are more important than the Word of God!
Another work states: “Christian” teachers tried to show that Christianity was in harmony with Greco-Roman humanism. Clement of Alexandria and Origen (second and third centuries C.E.) made Neoplatonism the foundation of what came to be “Christian philosophy.” Ambrose (339-397 C.E.), bishop of Milan, had “absorbed the most up-to-date Greek learning, Christian and pagan alike—notably the works . . . of the pagan Neoplatonist Plotinus.” He tried to provide educated Latins with a classical version of Christianity. Augustine followed suit. A century later, Dionysius the Areopagite (also styled pseudo-Dionysius), probably a Syrian monk, tried to unite Neoplatonic philosophy with “Christian” theology. According to one encyclopedia, his “writings established a definite Neoplatonic trend in a large segment of medieval Christian doctrine and spirituality . . . that has determined facets of its religious and devotional character to the present time.”
“the Christian Platonists gave primacy to revelation and regarded Platonic philosophy as the best available instrument for understanding and defending the teachings of Scripture and church tradition.”
The New Catholic Encyclopedia says that the church “holds no truth on the basis of Scripture alone, independently of tradition, nor on the basis of tradition alone, independently of Scripture.”
All of our worship is based solely upon scripture. We worship Jehovah, the only true God, and honor Jesus as the one Jehovah sent. (Jn 17:3)
Do we have 'traditions'? Yes, we have 'Kingdom Halls' but we do not venerate these places of worship. It is the people or the congregation that meets there, who are precious. (the term 'church' as used in most bibles refers to the people and not the building)
Jehovah's Witnesses believe first and foremost God's Word:
(2 Timothy 3:16, 17) “16 All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.”
(Romans 15:4-6) “4 For all the things that were written beforehand were written for our instruction, so that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. 5 Now may the God who supplies endurance and comfort grant you to have among yourselves the same mental attitude that Christ Jesus had, 6 so that unitedly you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
(Ephesians 1:3) “3 Praised be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for he has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in union with Christ, . . . 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the accurate knowledge of him. ”
Jehovah's Witnesses do not use Church Traditions, only God's inspired word.
Jehovah's Witnesses know that the apostle John was the last inspired prophet, and his most recent prophecy was the book of Revelation.
- (Bible as God's word)
Jesus speaking at (John 17:17) Sanctify them (christians) by means of the truth; your (God's) word (Bible) is truth.
Jesus speaking at (Matthew 7:21) “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. Jesus Also at (Matthew 15:9) It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach commands of men as doctrines.’”
(Recent Revealed Prophecy)
(2 Timothy 3:1-5) >( Know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here)<. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power.
And (Romans 1:26-32) That is why God gave them over to uncontrolled sexual passion, for their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature; likewise also the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene and receiving in themselves the full penalty, which was due for their error. Just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them over to a disapproved mental state, to do the things not fitting. And they were filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, and badness, being full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, and malice, being whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, schemers of what is harmful, disobedient to parents, without understanding, false to agreements, having no natural affection, and merciless. Although these know full well the righteous decree of God—that those practicing such things are deserving of death—they not only keep on doing them but also approve of those practicing them. (CB/Bible0JW.org)00
- To me, it's The Spirit with the Word of God, lifting the veils of misunderstandings, so God's Light will appear. Revealed prophecy in that God will reveal to us astonishing things (... again in our minds, hearts, and our souls even feel this; also the Spirit is our witness (mountain ranges moving in the hearts of people, knowing the details well enough to quietly rejoice & agree a miracle happened>) Lastly I am not certain I understand what you mean by Church Tradition, but to me if the Spirit of the Lord is truly within a Church... I sense it, seeing the radiance of God's beauty within and upon the faces of those in attendance, surely you know a blessing is received, as this Radiance shines forth, like the rays of the sun.11
- Sure. As a Catholic, we believe that the Bible is inspired: it is the Word of God. I should note that believing the the Bible is inspired does not mean you will interpret it correctly. Additionally, Christ also gave us the Church which is the "bulwark of truth" and which He "will be with till the end of the age". Thus, my order in respect to your question will be: Bible as the Word of God and Church Tradition tied and recent reveal prophecy as last and highly doubting it until proven otherwise.20
- I would say that importance (in this case) is entirely dependent on reliability.
1 - Bible
2 - church tradition
3 - recent (unproved) supposed prophecy11
- What if I choose to reject God and His laws?
- Repent! Jesus Christ is coming soon!?
- Why are new atheists lying on God Almighty?!?
- Why are questions so crappy today in the R&S section?
- Is god an atheist?
- Why are people becoming Atheists?
- Did God SAY "let us make man in our image? Who likely was God speaking to?
- What's with Christians and the terror of Ouija boards? Its a childs toy made of plastic and wood. It's not made by "Satan" or "possessed".?
- Why do religious people think “no evidence of God not existing” means he exists?
- Why hasn't God ever healed a faithful amputee?