A sample of neon gas at a pressure of 0.848 atm and a temperature of 20.4 °C, occupies a volume of 10.2 liters. If the gas is allowed to expand at constant temperature to a volume of 16.3 liters, the pressure of the gas sample will be
- (0.848 atm) x (10.2 L / 16.3 L) = 0.531 atm00
- Chemistry - confined gas problem....
You might be asking why Roger wrote 10.2L / 16.3L, and not 16.3L / 10.2L. Why that ratio and not the other?
Start with the combined gas law, and then cancel out the unit which is constant. Solve the equation for the unknown and then put in the corresponding values.
P1V1 / T1 = P2V2 / T2 ........ combined gas law
P1V1 = P2V2 ............. ......... constant T; aka Boyle's law
P2 = P1V1 / V2 .......... ......... solve or P2
P2 = 0.848 atm x 10.2L / 16.3L
P2 = 0.531 atm
One could argue that if the volume is increased, the pressure will decrease, and so you choose a ratio that gives a smaller pressure as the answer. That being said, I don't think that there is any substitute for starting with the applicable equation, solving it for the unknown and then putting in the appropriate numbers. The farther you go in chemistry and the more involved the problems become, the more useful it is to have a systematic way of solving problems.10
- For the experiment measuring concentration of BSA using spectrophotometry, the blank will include which of the following?
- What is the proton environment of isotonic pilon destabilisers?
- How to reduce air oxygen by a cheap method?
- Preparation of a buffer?
- Which of the following does not describe an acid?
- Know any solvents?
- Studying for a chemistry test, got this question: "Calculate the mass of carbon which contains the same amount of atoms as 20g of sulfur"?
- Have any good chemistry jokes?
- Please could you tell me would UV protection also protect you from microwaves?
- Is vitamin c toxic ?