Before President Kennedy was assassinated, I wrote on my school notebook: "A false, freak society cannot exist if it contains thinkers. Evidently, our society does not contain thinkers."
Although there was no telivision in our family before the late sixties after I was grown and working, or maybe BECAUSE we did not have one during my formative years, I was well informed and aware of what was going on in the world. We had what they call newspapers. We read about it.
However much advantage that may be for thinking abilities, there is still the threat to developing young minds from propaganda. Developing the ability to think logically and calmly sort through the garbage which is so prevalent and becoming ever more prolific with each year can be dependant on one's exposure to comparative thinking within a Cooperative rather than competitive environment can be a challenge in any era, and it has always been that way. But the overall impetus of society and inclination of the larger portion of people is to follow along blindly in a general declination of values and standards by which to judge what events and people mean.
You ask the question correctly in that you use the word culture. Society is a word both hackneyed and little understood. Civilization was shoved into the background long ago. It has been my personal observation that the progression of our society disproves evolution. What you are seeing is devolution. The phoniness has been always there with conditions generally retrogressing from the beginning because of the original lie, which even now grips the general masses by their desire to believe it.
The whole of mankind has become more phony with time. The propagandists distract the general population from focusing on the things in life most important to living, living happily and most benefitiently for all. The focus is on competition instead of cooperation, hate instead of love, war instead of peace. People are convinced that progress consists of the ability to kill more people with the pull of a trigger or push of a button than ever before.
People look to be stars, try to be number one, forgetting the fact that God's Word predicted that the stars would fall. That time is upon us because we are seeing the time in man's history when the wicked are flourishing like the green vegetation. Moreover, that we are living in the time that is the highest it has ever been for military powers. That is what is meant by Armageddon, the highest point of military decision. The Hebrew "har" means mountain, and Megiddo was a place that had stategic advantage for controlling trade routes, but there is no mountain there.
To keep it all in perspective, remember that Armageddon is actually God's war against the warmongers that will end all wars.
You see, although your question was simple enough in some ways, it also involves a lot of man's history that is almost entirely hidden from the view of the general population by the "education" system designed to propagate a culture by inculcating the views of the few who claim to have superior understanding, who then gain power over others by means of the desires of the masses to be right, number one, superior without being valuable, and to belong to the crowd.
What it comes down to then, is that people more and more incline away from individuality and towards what is popular to the most people, which is irresponsibility and lack of distinction, blending in with what they are told to believe is the norm or the approved, correct way of being or thinking, because, after all, isn't the will of the majority what is right?
No, I tell you. In a world of individuals, there is no such thing as normal. However, the standards of right and wrong are absolute, and cannot be changed according to individual views. That is what was lost sight of through the original lie and given power through it's popularity.
Remember that an expression of the will of the majority, and the demonstration of the true value of any democratic arrangement is this: there is nothing more democratic than a lynch mob.
What is wrong with society is the idea that anyone has the right, ability, or power to assert control over another. Remember too, that that is the definition irion of crime.
So, what we are seeing today is that mankind has devolved to the point that they cannot see that it is at the most crucial point in history to it's very survival: the end of the world as we know it. No, not the end of the planet, the end of Satan's world based on the lie that mankind is capable of ruling itself independently of God.
You have seen it through what you describe as being a decline in the characteristics, as to their real value, of the stars of the show, the ones in the limelight. But remember this, too, that two men looked out of prison bars, one saw mud, and the other saw stars. There might be some artists, even popular ones, who have openly expressed better lines of thought and more "on point," as they say it nowadays, than you have opened up for consideration. How about them Moody Blues?
I am getting tired. I was when I started this, but I know that there are a lot of things that I have only touched upon, so I am going to rest, and meanwhile, if you have any questions, feel free to ask
Why is our culture today so phony?
I always look to the past for any sort of quality, be it: music, art, film, even architecture and personality. Today we have people like: One Direction, Sam Smith, Katy Perry. Back in the day you had to be good to get people's attention, you had to be genuine; people had to have talent to make it back in the day. And im 26 myself, im fed up turning on the radio and hearing the same old crap by mr i assume im cool, or miss i think im great just because im a woman, they have this sense of entitlement and self congratulating attitude and they really equate quality with winning awards, haha, oh man how naive can you get. Orson Welles vs Ryan Reynolds, Peter O' Toole vs Jonah Hill, Oliver Reed vs Ben Afflicted ha ******* ha. To be fair though, there are of course good bands and actors and other sorts of artist's around today, but not many, not many at all. Tom Hardy, he's good and i suppose Jennifer Lawrence is popular and all, but i still struggle to see what's so great about her acting, she seems plain to me, i like her personality though. And just the average people, all dressing the same, same shoes, same way of talking and bad manners and just not cool at all, naive about actually being cool, they don't know what it is. For me, older people are really the cool ones, far cooler than my generation: the Grateful Dead, the Doors, Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Donovan. We live in a toilet culture.
- Because Holden Caufield said so?00
- Because it lies in the power of Satan. Satan is a liar and a false spirit and so are those who do his bidding for fortune and fame, they are phony and false just like their master. He knows most of the new generation and culture will follow because they are blind and most have never being taught by their parents the truth of this life, so they follow blindly the culture of the wicked.00
- I think you need to go back and look at history. Great artists are literally 1 in a million. There is so much trash you haven't slogged through. All of what you see as phony today existed then too; and most of it was forgotten which is why it doesn't stand out.
If your radio bothers you so much, connect your phone to your car and bump tunes you like.00
- Everyday when you’re walking down the street00
- During the 50's--through the 70's: Talent scouts and music label A&R people sought pure TALENT from our iconic beloved celebrities--who back then delivered the goods; they rarely needed HYPE to attract appreciative audiences.
But those same music label A & R guys and talent scouts, like we all sooner or later, aged and retired off---they "handed the car keys" to the ALTERNATIVE "lost" generation; to this day, we live and re-live the awful nightmare.
"Celebrities" today RELY ON HYPE because they have ZERO talent!! And there's a new "celebrity" getting out of some ( male OR FEMALE ) producer's bed every passing day / week; it really is challenging to know who IS famous or infamous.
On a recent flight to Los Angeles, I sat next to a pretty young woman---and didn't know she was some "successful" pop singer, until I was later told so by a fellow passenger; I still don't remember her name.
But yeah: We have corporalized the TV, Film, music and print media markets in America---and flooded them ALL with equally phony Political Correctness: It really is "not who you know---but who you either blow or lick off". Talent and hard honest work are dead in Hollywood and Nashville.00
- Because of the catcher in the rye :)00
- it's been hijacked by the politically correct liberals.00
- There was once a time when bands such as The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and musicians and singers such as Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix and Jose Feliciano were thought of as a plague of crap music taking over the tastes of teenagers and the beautiful music of the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra and the music of the Big Band era was forgotten by the new young generation.
Now a lot of people in their 6th decade of life are aging hippies and people who were part of the 1960s or who grew up in the 1960s and they are wondering how the talent-less singers and musicians of the past 2 decades ever became famous.
- Our culture has always been phony that is paramount with all mainstream culture. Don't let it get you down instead focus on your own passions and dare to be different. Understand that in doing that you will no longer be affected by what "society" deems acceptable so get rid of those shackles!00
- Why do so many black people look alike?
- Is 18 young for a person to die?
- Do most white Americans identify as European?
- Do you ever feel like people want to control you and make you feel like you have to behave a certain way in society?
- How to avoid mansplaining?
- Which career is genuinely less stressful?
- Will blacks go into space?