If I sell something on craiglist, can the buyer accuse me selling a damaged laptop if they broke it themselves after the transaction?
How can I prove that it wasn't me? what are some other dangers of selling expensive things on craiglist? what are some exchange sites besides a police station?
- A person can accuse you of whatever they want. I've been falsely accused of rape several times. Do an exchange anywhere that there are cameras.02
- It's buyer and seller beware - while most are not scamming the system, some are.
You can hire people like a notary public to act as a middleman. They agree to act to ensure a transaction is on the up and up, and some might act as an escrow agent. That'll cost you though.10
- Contact Craigslist. They may have certain rules about damaged goods being sold. It would seem to me that if you are buying something used off of any site it would be bought “as is” as far as the condition of the item.01
- It doesnt matter if the buyer accuses you of that, you are not obligated to return the item or give a refund. It is a private transaction. Buyer beware applies. Exchange of what?11
- They can accuse you, sure. Doesn't make them right.00
- hard to do, but you can take video of the day the transaction occurs..showing it working
not all police stations are exchange stations, although nothing stops you from using the parking lot...different areas designated different spots00
- Of course they can accuse you.... Have them check it out before they buy it - plug it in, prove that it works and write up a Bill of Sale, stating that the buyer has tested the item and finds it in good working condition. When they sign that, you will be protected. Meet at just about any parking lot, not near a van where you or it can be snatched. Inside McDonalds would work. Order a drink or something so that you don't get kicked out.12
- Whether or not the laptop was broken after the sale, it doesn't really matter. It's up to the buyer to check it out. Ebay has buyer protection and feedback scores to help, I don't think Craigslist has these. I would never buy electrical goods from a stranger on Gumtree/Craigslist without checking the goods first. Even on Ebay it may be difficult to prove an item was faulty when bought. That's a chance you take with used electricals.00
WHAT TO DO?
YOU SHOULD HAVE PROOF THAT IT WAS NOT BROKEN OR PROBABLY THE LAST TIME YOU USED IT.
*ANOTHER THING, YOU CAN CHECK THE WARRANTY AND ANYONE WHOEVER SAW IT SUCH AS THE LAST TIME YOU BROUGHT YOUR LAPTOP TO A COFFEE SHOP AND LET THE BARTENDER TYPE DOWN THE PASSWORD, YOU CAN USE THE coffee shop cameras to check what REALLY HAPPENED.10
- Is the Apple Watch Series 3 better or the series 4?
- Does Widescreen 235:1 Enhanced For 16x9 Televisions mean the DVD is letterboxed?
- Does a female 4 pin XLR to female dual aux adapter exist? If not, why?
- Is it safe to use a DVD player with the flap missing?
- I vacuumed up moist soil, had no choice, is my vacuum cleaner damaged?
- Can I activate an existing alarm in my apartment myself?
- When did Apple invent the electrocardiogram?
- How do sound travel through headphones/earplugs from a music device pc or phone?
- What does the total loading of a wall adapter mean?
- Where to sell Bell & Howell and Ward 806 duo eight projector?