a) Divide the total distance 2pi*r (one circumference) by the total time (23.9 h, expressed in seconds).
b) The radius is r cos L where L = latitude. So the total distance around at latitude L is 2pi*r*cos L. The time taken is the same. So you want r cos L to be 1/4 of r.
The earth has a radius of 6.38 x 106 m and turns on its axis once every 23.9 h. (a) What is the tangential speed (in m/s) of a person living in Ecuador, a country that lies on the equator? (b) At what latitude (i.e., the angle in the figure, in degrees) is the tangential speed 1/4 that of a person living in Ecuador?
- Can you get AIDS from having sex with a dead body?
- Electromagnetic induction occurs when what?
- How many RPM does a 100m diameter space ship rotate in order to obtain artificial gravity?
- Physics help?
- Is Isot possible to grain the human eye to see in slow motion? For if I want to be better in basketball or football I want to see in slow?
- If the Earth is round, why don't airplanes have to compensate for the curvature of the Earth?
- Release is Midnight 21st June. Would that be on the Wednesday (20th) or Thursday (21st) at 12:00am?
- If I fold a piece of paper 42 times can I climb to the Moon and back?
- Is it possible for time travel to exist with the right technology?
- How much empty space is there in a proton?