When did coffins become obligatory?
Just to make it clear: I DO know that burying the dead in coffins is not obligatory any more. I also DID research for my MA thesis, but this is just minor additional information that would have come at hand. The church made the use of coffins obligatory in Britain at some point (I think around the 17th century), but since I'm not sure I thought some of you may know the answer.
- They are not obligatory. And you're doing an MA? without doing any research?00
- No coffin is needed when one is cremated.00
- Coffins are not required everywhere. However, the following might be of interest.
The word coffin comes from the Old French cofin and from the Latin cophinus, which translates into basket. The word was first used in the English language in 1380. A coffin is defined as a box or chest for the display/burying of a corpse. When used to transport the deceased, a coffin may also be referred to as a pall.
Coffins have been used since ancient Egypt when a body was mummified and placed in a sarcophagus before being buried in pyramids. In Europe, around 700, the Celts began fashioning burial boxes with flat stones. But the majority of people throughout time have been buried wrapped in a shroud, or in a wooden box.
See - http://agraveinterest.blogspot.co.uk/201... - from which the above is taken.00
- Do the transatlantic cables laid on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean in the 19th century by ships like the Great Eastern still work today?
- When was the first 5 axis CNC router invented?
- What drove mark twain to become a cub pilot on amississippi riverboat?
- Southeast Asia, Melanesia, and the European Steppes?
- Why do some people deny the holocaust but nobody denies slavery?
- Why are some holocaust survivors not even as old as the holocaust itself?
- Why was there no protest from other countries when Israel started to expand it's borders after it was established in 1948?
- Are there any other WW II vets here on Yahoo?
- The native Americans practiced slavery, where is your outrage?
- Are you astounded when people believe total rubbish they saw on YouTube and cite it as a source?