When did coffins become obligatory?
Just to make it clear: I DO know that burying the dead in coffins is not obligatory any more. I also DID research for my MA thesis, but this is just minor additional information that would have come at hand. The church made the use of coffins obligatory in Britain at some point (I think around the 17th century), but since I'm not sure I thought some of you may know the answer.
- They are not obligatory. And you're doing an MA? without doing any research?00
- No coffin is needed when one is cremated.00
- Coffins are not required everywhere. However, the following might be of interest.
The word coffin comes from the Old French cofin and from the Latin cophinus, which translates into basket. The word was first used in the English language in 1380. A coffin is defined as a box or chest for the display/burying of a corpse. When used to transport the deceased, a coffin may also be referred to as a pall.
Coffins have been used since ancient Egypt when a body was mummified and placed in a sarcophagus before being buried in pyramids. In Europe, around 700, the Celts began fashioning burial boxes with flat stones. But the majority of people throughout time have been buried wrapped in a shroud, or in a wooden box.
See - http://agraveinterest.blogspot.co.uk/201... - from which the above is taken.00
- How to make Historic Inquisitor costume?
- Can some PLEASE explain the connections between past studied events and ideas to India's independence movement led by Gandhi?
- How did partisan differences affect atleast three political clashes between 1992 and 2000?
- Similaritie between Truman Doctrine, Marshall Plan?
- Who are the 10 worst Presidents?
- When did the last Indians in America die off?
- What could the US have done to reduce the effects of the Holocaust?
- How close was Germany to winning the war?
- Why does 9/11 get more attention and coverage than other recent terrorist attacks?
- Could a highly trained US soldier from WW2 defeat Brian Urlacher or other linebackers in a street fight to the death with knives and fists?