When did coffins become obligatory?
Just to make it clear: I DO know that burying the dead in coffins is not obligatory any more. I also DID research for my MA thesis, but this is just minor additional information that would have come at hand. The church made the use of coffins obligatory in Britain at some point (I think around the 17th century), but since I'm not sure I thought some of you may know the answer.
- They are not obligatory. And you're doing an MA? without doing any research?00
- No coffin is needed when one is cremated.00
- Coffins are not required everywhere. However, the following might be of interest.
The word coffin comes from the Old French cofin and from the Latin cophinus, which translates into basket. The word was first used in the English language in 1380. A coffin is defined as a box or chest for the display/burying of a corpse. When used to transport the deceased, a coffin may also be referred to as a pall.
Coffins have been used since ancient Egypt when a body was mummified and placed in a sarcophagus before being buried in pyramids. In Europe, around 700, the Celts began fashioning burial boxes with flat stones. But the majority of people throughout time have been buried wrapped in a shroud, or in a wooden box.
See - http://agraveinterest.blogspot.co.uk/201... - from which the above is taken.00
- Have you Ever worked on a major project before and what was the outcome it?
- Given that Churchill, FDR, and Gandhi were the greatest statesmen of the 20th century, who were the greatest statesmen of the 19th century?
- In Benjamin Franklin’s Autobiography according to Franklin’s observation a person must replace _____ behaviors with _____ behaviors.?
- In Benjamin Franklin’s Autobiography explain how Franklin underestimates his attempt.?
- Where was I before I was born?
- Why do racist white people say that blacks sold their own people as an excuse to why slavery was right?
- Was Titanic built by drunken British people is that why it sunk?
- Do conservatives still oppose the New Deal?
- Why were Christians banned from reading the bible during the middle ages?
- What was Uranus called before it was discovered?