They were given a firm "talking to" by the butler or head housekeeper
... they were servants, not slaves.
For "naughty children", the butler would have a word with the father who would "box their ears".
How were servants punished in victorian times?
I am more interested in how children were punished. were they treated a little better because they were children or were they whipped, starved, beaten etc?? any answers or links are welcome :)
- servants could have their wages docked if they had done something unsatisfactory, like breaking something for interests. Some employers were more severe than others. And in a large household, the housekeepr and the butler might impose a penalty on a junior servants who broke something, or did their work badly or something.
However, whipping servants would not be usual practice in the 1800s, though it certainly did occur in earlier centuries, when servants tended to be regarded more as junior members of the family (they were usually young) and employers were considered to have the authority of parents over them.
by the 1800s, though, relations between employers and their servants tended to be more formal and less close than in previous centuries.
Servants were not usually starved, though they didn't always get very good food. Again, some employers were more generous than others.10
- How were the events surrounding the Berlin Airlift and the Cuban Missile Crisis different?
- I know Germany invaded France 3 times in modern history, in 1870, 1914 and 1940. But how many times before 1870 did France invade Germany?
- Why were people suspicious of children being witches in Elizabethans era?
- How many wives did the ottoman sultan usually have?
- Was dinosaurs alive when cave men were?
- What happened to downed German pilots who parachuted into Britain during ww2?
- How much did the war, buillding concentration camps, and paying the nazis cost for hitler?
- How did Hitler pay for the holocaust.?
- Don't you think most slaves had life pretty good?
- India was colonised by England, does that make many Indians mixed with British ancestry?