Korean alphabet; exceptions?
hi~! i've been learning korean for a year and a half now, but there is something i still don't understand about the alphabet. i'm slow i know :3 what kind of exceptions are there? like, for this word 연락 it's not pronounced "yeonrak" but "yeolak" or 탄산 음료. they completely ignore the R. what are the exceptions? please help~! thank you(:
- all ㄹ's in korean dont exactly sound r or l, but sorta between them. so if u say 연 and 락 together as fastest as u can, it sounds like yeolak. the formal way to pronounce it is also yeolak. native koreans always say yeonrak, but it is said fast, and sounds yeolak. 탄산음료 is the same thing. when one says 음료 quickly, it sounds ike eumnyo, but natives say eumryo.20
- I received the same. --> 헬렌 I used some transliteration generator thingy. I don't know korean much and my potential of korean is not even sufficient to be regarded general but from what I realized from japanese it will be read as HE(헬) LEN(렌) correct? It's a syllabic language so HE (헬) one phoneme and LEN (렌) is one other. I do not know what it's without a doubt referred to as but i know what your speaking about, yes, he is regarded the ending vowel (the E) so you need to use ㄹ. However I read somewhere that R/Ls are spoken as Rs in the middle of a phrase (ex.Mariya ) after which the R/L is at the finish it can be stated an an L (ex.Hangul) the one exception I would in finding to this is international names and like you mentioned the place the first phoneme ends in a vowel (ex.Molla)00
- The truth is that the pronunciation of many of the harder combinations of letters are changed in order to make them easier to say. As in the examples you stated, 연락 becomes "yeol-lak" and 음료 becomes "eum-nyo." Other examples are 종로 becoming "Jong-no" and 했는데 becoming (more or less) "hen-neun-dae." There aren't so so many of these cases, so they are more of something you will have to learn as you go. A helpful tool might be the book "The Sounds of Korean," in which there is an entire chapter (I think) about this phenomenon. Here is a link:
After checking it out, please purchase the book and support the authors!00
- How do you feel about Goo Hara being sexually assaulted by her boyfriend?
- Hi i'm whiting a book and it takes place n seoul korea and i need to know if i'm spelling the few korean word i'm using right?
- I have done MBBS ..can I apply for specialization in South korea as a foreigner student if I don't know Korean language?
- I have done MBBS...as a foreigner English speaker can I do specialization in South korea?
- Why are European girls so anti of Asian guys ? they can be nastier than American girls ?
- Do you want to talk dirty to Fireball?
- Is it appropriate in Korean culture for anyone to compliment you on your looks?
- Is Korea also Japan?
- What is your favorite K-pop band mine is BTS?
- Where can I buy cheap Korean Pop Music Merchandise?