King James Version (KJV)
9On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
10And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
11And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
12Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
13And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
14But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
15And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
16This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
17Now while Peter doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean, behold, the men which were sent from Cornelius had made enquiry for Simon's house, and stood before the gate,
18And called, and asked whether Simon, which was surnamed Peter, were lodged there.
19While Peter thought on the vision, the Spirit said unto him, Behold, three men seek thee.
20Arise therefore, and get thee down, and go with them, doubting nothing: for I have sent them.
21Then Peter went down to the men which were sent unto him from Cornelius; and said, Behold, I am he whom ye seek: what is the cause wherefore ye are come?
22And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee
Why is it so difficult to understand how faith establishes the Law? What does "establish" mean?
Romans 3:31 KJV Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
- As a mature Christian, I understand “faith” to be a substance of the divine person like holiness, love, immortality, and wrath against sin. Faith exists within humankind as implanted from GOD at Creation to be an added aspect of full human being. “Law”, understood as the expressed will of GOD, is to operate within the awareness of created beings and living creatures influencing their finite will.
Because of sin, the influence opposing all existence, neither faith nor law alone determines the content of human character. In the same way three drops of orange juice put into a glass of milk allow you to say you have “milk and juice”, yet the character of the content of the glass (the aroma, color, texture, etc.) is so dominated by the milk, anyone who did not know would say, it’s a glass of pure milk”, without added faith and other features from the imparted, indwelling Spirit of GOD, the law is not obeyed, and does not exist in full effect and power.
There is far more to be said, correctly applied, and spiritually apprehended. (For example, the divine law must be revealed, that is, its sacred identity must be made visible. The law must be internalized, (i.e., a person must “learn” right from wrong); and the law must operate as a continuous pressure from within--we say, a person must have a conscience.) Even so, I trust this fragment will be useful. Be it unto you according to your faith.
THE BLACK PHOENIX
- The word "establish" is translated from the Greek word "histemi" which means "to make to stand" or "to cause to stand."
to make to stand
1) to cause or make to stand, to place, put, set
1a) to bid to stand by, [set up]
1a1) in the presence of others, in the midst, before judges, before members of the Sanhedrin;
1a2) to place
1b) to make firm, fix establish
1b1) to cause a person or a thing
A prolonged form of a primary word στάω staō (of the same meaning, and used for it in certain tenses); to stand (transitively or intransitively), used in various applications (literally or figuratively): - abide, appoint, bring, continue, covenant, establish, hold up, lay, present, set (up), stanch, stand (by, forth, still, up).
How do we establish the Law through faith? Through a faith that works through love.
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.
Faith, love, and obedience work together. Obedience is the evidence of our love and of our faith.
1 John 5:2-4
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith.
Faith does not do away with God's Law/Torah.
btw... The first answer stopped short of showing what it was that God revealed to Peter in his vision.
23 Then called he them in, and lodged them. And on the morrow Peter went away with them, and certain brethren from Joppa accompanied him 24 And the morrow after they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them, and had called together his kinsmen and near friends. 25 And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him. 26 But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man. 27 And as he talked with him, he went in, and found many that were come together. 28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.20
- Isn't existing as a human empirical evidence that miracles may be the reason? i could have been a dung beetle?
- Who carries the seed of life? The man or the woman?
- How do you respond when someone asks you what is your religion. As it happens I don't have a religion but they still want to know.?
- What to do of a messed up brain aka spoiled aka bad aka schizophrenic brain?
- Why do people say Jesus is God?
- Creationists, how doesn't Fossil record prove evolution to you?
- I'm an atheist, but I like listening to Christian hymns. What does this mean? What do I do?
- If god is the father, and god is the son, does that mean that the father of the father i.e the Grandfather is also god?
- Will there be chocolate-covered peanuts in heaven?
- Atheists .the holy books are all be-leavers have for evidence ,how come you have no special book that has all ansews?