Tortoises eat a mixture of vegetable and plant matter, and some eat worms and bugs. You should ask this question in the Pet category for more specialised answers. At step 2 of posting a question, click on Browse Categories and select your own category, don't just accept the Yahoo suggested one, as it's often wrong.
Edit: oh, I thought you said "what". Sorry I don't know "when" but I suppose when they're hungry and feeling safe.
When do turtiose eat?
when do tortoise eat because its not eating
- I have a turtle back in China. I buy a small bag of small live fishies about 1-2cm and I pour some in and he eats them. Some pet turtles HATE processed turtle food so it's best to give them live food instead. Also, if you give them live little fish and dried food at the same time, they would go for the fresh food (the fish).
They eat whenever they want to. I had a few baby turtles, but I only have one left. I don't know where my auntie threw the rest. :'(
Anyway, I usually feed my turtle in the mornings. It was summer at that time, and I kept the water at about an inches' height. I tried to make him swim but he just float inside his shell when that happens! Seriously, I don't even know how to make him swim.00
- If they eat daily, there is definitely something wrong with it!00
- When do turtiose eat?00
- Eating disorder?00
- Why do i have the urge to clean in the middle of the night?00
- Bevause it got farted in the way that is of the fuddle00
- Tortoises eat daily (or usually will if they are comfortable and have the food they want).
I grew up with having several tortoises and land turtles, and there were days when they wouldn't eat (sometimes several days). This is ok. In the wild they will eat a lot and then might go along time without. They can live a couple weeks without food (large tortoises can live up to a year without eating!), but they always need water.
That being said, just because they CAN go without eating, doesn't mean you should think it's ok, especially if you aren't sure how much he's eaten before. They can die from starving. If it's more than a day or so and the turtle shows no sign of eating, then its time to make a change.
1. What are you feeding him? Some tortoises aren't picky at all, but others are and will only eat food they like. I've found that strawberries seem to be a common favorite. I'd also recommend trying bugs or worms (sometimes the wiggling gets their attention).
2. What is his environment? This may seem weird, but turtles prefer a clean environment. I once had a turtle refuse food for almost a week, then I cleaned her area and washed her bowl and she started eating again. I find they do better with natural ground as well.
3. What temperature is it? If you are keeping him inside and it is cold, that might signal hibernation. Likewise, if you have him outside and live where it is still cold, it could be he thinks it is still hibernation time. In which case, let him hibernate or bring him to where is it warmer.
4. Where did he come from? Some turtles from the wild never loose that side and get very "homesick." Some are shy and just don't like eating in front of people - in which case you can leave food for them and see if it disappears. Turtles who grew up with people or came from the petstore should be used to eating food from people. But if he came from a petstore, I recommend asking them what he was used to eating. : )
Hope that helps. Good luck.00
- Why are many vegans have this racist attitude towards asians?
- Any vegan protein powder that actually tastes good?
- Why do vegans think they can ban the circle of life?
- Why do vegans think meat is murder?
- Why do vegans think meat is murder?
- If God didn't want us to eat meat then why did he create animals?
- Why eat meat and dairy if you don't need them to be healthy?
- I want to be vegetarian but my parents dont take it seriously?
- Why would anyone be against someone eating a vegan or vegetarian diet?
- A guy said if the slaughter houses did not have walls, we would all be vegan, is it true?