Hi Greenday4life! (p.s cool name)
Unfortunately yes vocal damage is quite common in singing and even speaking voices today.
There are many different signs ranging from huskiness, hoarseness, voice loss, flips in the voice etc that may indicate vocal damage. However it can also go un noticed so it is important that if you have any worries with your voice to see an ear nose and throat specialist.
A young body in general will heal faster than an elderly body, however this is not a healthy way to look at singing or your body. Sooner or later this will catch up to you and your voice.
I'd suggest you check out my 25 FREE singing lessons and e-books on VoxNinja.com. This will address many of your concerns about your voice and hopefully move you closer to your singing goals.
If you have any questions please let me know,
Signs of Vocal Damage?
Is vocal damage from incorrect singing habits common? What are some obvious signs and symptoms of vocal damage? Since I'm only 16, can my vocal cords heal much faster?
- Vocal damage can mostly occur from incorrect singing habits but can also occur if you scream for a long time. Basically, if you put your vocal chords under strain for a long time and keep them dehydrated, you've got the perfect recipe for vocal damage; mainly vocal nodules. If you sing in a strained, tensed, and uncomfortable manner that can also cause vocal damage.
Symptoms of vocal damage is having a breathy and raspy sound when you sing and even talk. Also, you wouldn't be able to sing for extended periods of time like you normally would. This happens because vocal nodules are basically callouses that form on the ends of your vocal chords and prevent the vocal chords from closing completely. Once you get them, you can't fully remove them without surgery but only make them smaller.
Vocal chords can only heal through not talking for singing for months no matter how old you are. You must only talk if you need to and absolutely no screaming. I personally would see speech doctor if you're really worried because vocal nodules are not something you wanna play around with.00
- Can you sing a song on the voice that has already been done once?
- Can I still expand my vocal range?
- Very soon now know one we decided to use pencil and baro to write any on his note ,every one we start using computer .do you disagree?
- My range is Ab2 to G5. What is my vocal type. I am a male.?
- Was all humans born with a singing voice?
- How do you increase your vocal range?
- What is an soprano assoluto?
- Should I focus on being a singer or a dancer?
- When is society supposed to undergo a dramatic impact from AI technology?
- How to sing with power?