Has Roe vs Wade already been effectively overturned?
States are passing abortion restrictions like crazy and opponents are not challenging them because of the conservative justices in the Supreme Court.
- Not yet...but soon:)21
- Full term partial birth abortions seem to be going by the wayside, so it seems the next step never got achieved for the abortionists. At least the babies that make it out and breath air are pretty safe now from being killed by a mother who doesn't want him/her. Babies have Won that round. Abortionists are out on that.
Some states have effectively banned abortions by their imposition of waiting periods and parental notification,. They are also using zoning to restrict access to medical clinics where abortions are performed.
I feel so awful for the tens of thousands of unloved, unwanted babies being born in the US.
It's immoral to force a woman to carry an unwanted, unplanned pregnancy to term. But, that's the problem with being moral and having strong values - it's so painful to know about horrible experience of an unwanted pregnancy week after week, month after month.
And then, giving birth to an unwanted child. I can't imagine how horrible it must be for thousands of women - plus the thousands of unwanted children with a lifetime of potential emotional anguish ahead of them.13
- You seem to be forgetting that R vs. W wasn't a blanket approval of the practice, there are areas where Constitutional laws can be passed curtailing/regulating it.
Full text of Roe vs Wade
- No, Roe v. Wade only really protects abortions in the first trimester and allows for states and the federal government to regulate abortions in the second and third trimesters of a woman’s pregnancy.21
- It has become irrelevant because we now have an abortion pill, and laws can not prevent a woman from taking a pill in the privacy of her home.01
- Overturned, no. Possibly suspended, for the reason you gave. If anyone tried to challenge these state anti-abortion laws right now, that would put the case back up to the Supreme Court, where the conservative majority could overturn it. So, the states that want it overturned are establishing these laws while they can, hoping that the case does go to the Supreme Court and abortion rights get overturned.
But, if the Supreme Court were to lose a conservative member and be replaced by a liberal member, then people would challenge the constitutionality of the laws and Roe v Wade would be upheld. In the mean time, yes Roe v Wade has essentially been temporarily overturned in those states that have adopted anti-abortion laws recently.02
- The punishment for pretending to be Cherokee is 50 lashes on the bare back and an ear cut off close to the head?
- I beat up a pedophile, how much cash can i get for a reward ?
- What could the Democrats do if the take control of the House in November, 2018?
- Why do reapublican ALWAYS gaslight the country and say everyone is DUMB AND LAZY?
- Describe Trump with one word?
- What happened to simple respect for your president?
- Do you agree with Monica Lewinsky that Bill Clinton abused his power as President when they engaged in oral sex?
- I LITERALLY despise Trump and In my heart, I reject him as my president. Thoughts?
- Why do Democrats hate a booming economy?
- Describe Hillary Clinton in 3 words?