What did Egyptian household servants do?
What did female ancient Egyptian servants do in households?
This is for a class project.
This is for a class project.
- everything from scrubbing the bath tub to burying their master when they were dead... use your imagination.21
- It was the choice of the master so if he wanted to be call master or my lord or Sir he or she could of choose00
- For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awdWq
Here are some Egyptian titles - go and look them up via google as to their meaning. They are all officials of one type or another. The Pharaoh is the equivilant of a King. They would have had the equivilant of Lord and Lady, but obvously they would not be in English. Nomarch Vizier Kherheb Pharaoh00
- Egyptian Servants00
- The servants of a noble or upper class family in ancient Egypt would have been many and had a variety of roles within the household. All would have been ultimately responsible to a steward who in turn was responsible to the master and mistress of the house.
There would have been personal maids to assist the women of the house with their elaborate makeup,dressing and maintaining their wigs and adornments of jewellery.
They would have been expected to wake the women an help them with their person bathing and toilette.
The ancient Egyptians placed great store in cleanliness and often removed all hair from their bodies including their heads as a matter of hygiene and no doubt to be more comfortable in the heat.
The application of fragrant oils to keep the skin smooth and sweet smelling was also part of their morning toilette and this would have been done by the women's maids.
The female servants especially those who preformed these personal tasks were dressed in a similar manner, but of less costly materials to their mistresses.
They wore a sheath styled dress, that depending on which era of ancient Egypt may have been covered by a fine transparent pleated garment that was drawn in a the waist.
Sandals similar to modern day things or flip flops were worn in the feet.
These personal servants would have likely accompanied the ladies of the house on any daily outings and been ready to attend to their mistresses as required,making adjustments to their dress and make up.
The master and other men of the household would have also had personal attendants who would have preformed similar roles to those of the personal servants of the women.
They wore a kilt of pleated material that was often a form of linen. The same form of footwear was worn by both sexes and
the men also wore wigs and body adornments in the form of pectorals, a large pendent that in some instances almost covered the upper part of the chest, earrings and bangles.
The ancient Egyptians of noble rank had large households of servant of all description, in addition to the personal servants there would have been quite a number of domestic servants, cooks and other household staff who maintained grounds of the estate.
All would have been subordinate to the steward who would also be in charge of making any purchases and attending to all matters regarding the estate.
The life of a servant in the household of an upper class or noble ancient Egyptian family would have been a situation thought if as one if some prestige, especially the servants who attended the members of the household personally and of course the steward whose role was one of great importance.
The steward would have been literate and able to tally the household accounts and keep the appropriate records for the masters perusal.
When the ancient Egyptians died they had small statues made called Ushabtis that were sometimes actual effigies of their favoured servants in their earthly life.
These were placed in the tomb with the deceased person and were thought to serve them in the afterlife on the same role as they did while on earth,which they referred to as the Elysian Fields or the Field of Reeds.30
- How come Ireland sent MPs to the British House of Commons before 1922?
- Power Use of House of Fraser Guildford?
- How did the argument between having a large federal government vs having a smaller government lead up to the civil war?
- What are the major events that pushed the united states to live up to the promises of the constitution?
- Was the American military to reckless in WW2?
- Does it make sense to say if Dresden wasn't a war crime, then neither was the Holocaust?
- Why did the U.S. split Korea in 1/2?
- Why do black people whine about slavery?
- People who lived the 70s: what were the 70s like?
- Obama or Trump? Im trying to get an accurate survey.?