How to waterproof a jacket?
i have an old military field jacket, the outer shell is 50% nylon and 50% cotton with 100% cotton lining. it's an awesome jacket, it's warm enough to use through most of the winter with a detachable liner, but light enough without it to use through the spring and fall without being too warm. the only problem is, it's only waterproofing is the fact that it's kind of thick so it takes a while for the water to bleed down to where it bothers me. anyone know any good products for waterproofing this thing?
- they sell the spray. The same one u use for the timerland boots11
- buy a Pancho or whatever how yooh spell it and put it over the jacket12
- Scotchguard is an awesome product for waterproofing clothing. My friends used to use it on their clothes before going snow skiing so they wouldn't have to rent ski suits. It seems to be getting harder to find. Hope you find it and use it!11
- Check out a sporting goods store. I bought this stuff to spray all over a canvas tent once when the waterproofing had worn off. Worked great.20
- I waterproofed a jacket once, and it worked great, but I can't remember what I used. I know it was a spray made for leather and boots and such, and I think I actually bought it in the men's shoe department at Strawbridges. There are many different brands of spray out there, and you can buy them in department stores, sporting goods stores and even on the internet. You'd be looking for a "waterproofing spray" and it would say "for boots, leather, or canvas..etc.."
You will have to hang up the jacket, and then spray it evenly, all over. Let it dry, and it you feel the need to re-apply, go ahead. It's going to be at least a couple of days before you wear it, because after it dries, it's going to stink for a while.
When I waterproofed my boyfriend's jacket, I sprayed down the entire jacket, and let it dry in between several coats. I have to warn you though, that stuff is REALLY potent. I sprayed the jacket outside, because I have a bird at home, and birds can die from certain fumes, but then I brought it in and hung it up in the closet. My closet smelled like leather spray for MANY weeks after that.
Since I noticed there were so many brands out there, and since I never waterproofed anything before, I bought it at Strawbridges thinking they would probably only carry the best brands. It would have cost me a TON if I had gotten it waterproofed at the cleaner's.That's why I did it on my own. It was a present for my boyfriend. I had bought him the perfect jacket, for Christmas, but the sales clerk didn't know if it was water resistant, and I only wanted the best for him- so I took care of that part on my own. He loves it by the way :)
Here are some links to finding waterproofing sprays.
I hope that helps :)
- How to keep the rooms clean and fresh?
- My clothes drier cuts out after about 30 minutes of drying. What's wrong with it?
- Somethin is rong with my trailer, any ideas?
- I use clorox disinfectant wipes on my butt, is this bad?
- How do I undo bleach on an Apple Watch?
- What can I do while staying home 24/7 and can't go anywhere...please help before I go insane.?
- Sometimes I get “skid marks” on my boxers. Can I put them with the regular laundry?
- Why are Mexican women so good at cleaning?
- Powder detergent vs liquid detergent which is best ??
- I’ve got 4 girls and a teenage son, the oldest. How do I get the smell out of his shoes and socks before he drives the girls and ME crazy.?