Which other churches have valid apostolic succession besides the Catholic and Orthodox churches?
I know certain Anglican churches have valid succession, but what about other "High Church" Protestants?
- which church period has it? you presume too much.03
- Protestantism does not have apostolic succession. Martin Luther wanted to continue the tradition of apostolic tradition. After breaking away from Catholicism, Luther contacted Orthodox leaders in order to continue apostolic succession. Luther gave the idea up after he failed to find a single Orthodox leader to continue the tradition.41
- Isn't it God who validates, not man?02
- Good luck finding answerers who know what a valid apostolic succession is. I can't help you much... A fair chance Lutherans and Methodists do. Near certain Baptists don't.
Of course, various churches would dispute the "valid" part in reference to their rivals.21
- Apostolic Succession in the Anglican Church is not accepted by the Catholic Church only the Orthodox. The Polish National Catholic Church is accepted by both Catholic and Orthodox. I know there is just one other but not sure what it is.20
- This depends on your definition of valid apostolic secession- if your understanding is like mine then only the Orthodox church would have valid apostolic secession since it is about doctrine. however if it is in your view about laying on of hands then some Lutherans- notably the Swedish may be able to claim it as well.01
- Catholic and Orthodox Churches have valid Apostolic Succession. The others do not.
Judaism has valid priesthood as well.11
- Apostolic succession is claimed by the Assyrian Church of the East, the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria, the Armenian Apostolic Church, the Greek Orthodox Church, the Russian Orthodox Church, the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Catholic Churches, the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Oriental Orthodox churches and the churches of the Anglican Communion.
Many smaller Churches like the original Thomas Christians in India, the Old Catholic Church and the Polish National Catholic Church also claim apostolic succession.
While the Anglican's claim is recognized by some Eastern Christian churches, it is not officially recognized by the Roman Catholic Church, based on Pope Leo XIII's papal bull Apostolicae Curae. However, since the promulgation of Apostolicae Curae, Anglican bishops have acquired Old Catholic lines of apostolic succession recognized by Rome.40
- What if Hitler was raised a Hassidic Jew?
- Are all in the family mad about you and your friends in the ER at general hospital?
- Admitting to not knowing everything there is to know, makes one an arrogant, lying, manipulative, & stupid little shythead...¿?
- People don't think I should be laughing. Why not?
- Is Education the biggest threat to Christianity?
- I’m scared I’m going to Hell?
- Can you be an atheist and a Christian at the same time?
- What if with every abortion given mandatory sterilization would apply?
- Why do most religious people deny Evolution?
- What Is Your Favourite Religion?