You got me Thinking I say Yes to Bernie that Guy played over 15 Years for the Yankees , he was always in Field and i think how the Yankees ended with his was not right but he was a Bi part for them.
And O"neill, that one the Yankee Organization will have to deal with that one he was a Warrior played with Passion.
Attention Yankee Fans: Concerning Bernie Williams and Paul O'Neill......?
As we all know both were excellent ball players for the Yankees and contributed a great deal to the Yankees success during their championship run. It's pretty much agreed that as good as they were, they are probably not going into the Hall of Fame. However do you think both their numbers (51 and 21) should be retired by the Yankees? Yes or no and why.
- Oh gosh..I had forgotten O'Neill!! I love him. Not a yankee fan but I LOVED watching these players and O'Neill deffy would have my vote for HOF.20
- Considering Bernie Williams' #51 wasn't given to Randy Johnson and Paul O'Neill's #21 was given to LaTroy Hawkins chances are #51 will be retired but #21 won't be retired.
From the championship years the Yankees should retire the following numbers.
#2 Derek Jeter
#6 Joe Torre
#51 Bernie Williams20
- I love both guys, and will forever be thankful that they played for the Yankees. They are classy individuals and absolute professionals on and off the field.
My take on this is Bernie - yes, but Paulie - no.
The main reason being that Bernie played his entire career with the Yankees and came up through their own farm system. All of his career stats were accomplished as a Yankee, and he is among the leaders in several team categories (i.e., hits, rbis, doubles, runs) as well as post-season categories. His career numbers compare favorably to guys like Bill Dickey and Yogi Berra, and exceed those of Phil Rizzuto and Elston Howard, all of whom pretty much played their entire careers for the Yankees. Paulie's career numbers are comparable to Bernie's, but a third of it was done as a Red.
Now, if we look at the players who had their numbers retired by the Yankees AND was NOT a "home grown" product, Paulie does not compare to them either. Babe Ruth, Roger Maris, Reggie Jackson, all had extraordinary and historical accomplishments as Yankees, and Paulie falls short of that.
The only numbers that should be considered at this point are:
51 - Bernie
2 - Jeter
42 - Rivera
6 - Torre
Posada (20) and Arod (13) are likely to get consideration at some point.
And, of course, I'm hoping that Cano (24), Wang (40), Hughes (34), Chamberlain (62), Cabrera (28) and Kennedy (31) will all have their numbers retired. It would mean immense success for the Yankees and multiple future championships. LOL. You can't blame a homer for wishful thinking.41
- I m a Reds fan ,and the day we traded Paul O'Neill i was so mad.He was my favorte Red by far ,i meet him and had a picture taken with him he is a super nice guy. I heard Pete Rose told him once if he was still manager for the Reds Paul you wouldnt have liked me much because i wouldnt have let the reds trade you to the yankees and you wouldnt have got those rings and made all that money !!!Rose also said he was one of his favorites he managed. We got Reberto Kelly in that trade what a turd he was,Jim bowden should have been shot for that trade!!!!!!!!!30
- they definately should and will. it should have been done this year, you know- end of Yankee Stadium, end of the Joe torre era (who should get his number retired as well), etc.
yes o'neill came up in cincinnati, but when he got to NY he was a 4time all star, .300+ multiple times (includ .359) and his fire and intensity was perfect for those world series teams
and bernie, what needs to be said about him? life long Yankee, 5 time all star, most postseason HRs ever, even in his older years, when no one thought he would contribue, then we had injuries and he just went out and hit.
i cant wait for the day that i get to go see 51 and 21 honored20
- I do think Bernie's #51 should be retired and I guess Paul O'Neill also deserves it for all they did to help their club, The only drawback I see for the Yankees is they will run out of numbers and have to start using letters! or really long Football numbers. I remember a quote from Derek Jeter (another future Yankee Hall of Famer and retired number 2) to paraphrase.when he was young he said he hopes by the time he becomes a Yankee there were still signal digit numbers available!10
- Bernie Yes. Paul No. Love em both but O Neil as die hard as he was, was not the home grown talent Bernie was.11
- Bernie's 51 has to be retired. Bernie did a lot for the Yankees during their run from 96 to 2005 or 2006 when he was forced to retire. He has the record for most hits during the post season, doesn't he? Paul O Neill is hard because he didn't spend lot of years with the Yankees and was not really impacting, at least for me.00
- Bernie Williams falls just short of the Hall, but he gave his heart and soul to the Yankees. Great numbers for over a decadea, a solid fielder, and a guy who chose to stay in New York even when he had the chance to take more money elsewhere. This guy also deserves all the credit in the world for never flexing his ego on a team already laden with plenty of big ones.
O'Neill didn't have quite as strong a career as Bernie, but will be remembered 50 years from now as a vital part of that dynasty. I'm not a huge fan of the importance of team chemistry, but I do think leadership is important and O'Neill had that in spades. On a team of superstars, you need someone like O'Neill to step up and keep the team focused. He and Torre had a great rapport, which I think helped too.
I know their were other cogs in that dynasty - guys like Brosius, Girardi, Cone - but none of them had the lasting impact or impressive as careers as Bernie and O'Neill. Even Tino Martinez, who put up some great seasons, doesn't have the career numbers to go with his Yankee contributions. My feeling is that if they're going to retire any non-HOFers from the last Yankees dynasty (guys like Jeter are a no-brainer since they're headed to Cooperstown), the two guys you've mentioned should be the first chosen.40
- Where do you think Manny Machado will play the after July 31st?
- Baltimore's Bench Davis?
- What is the most strikeouts between 2 MLB teams in one 9 inning MLB Game?
- Who's going to win today the Brewers or the Phillies? And why?
- Who is the most overrated power in hitter in MLB in 2018 between Bryce Harper and Giancarlo Stanton?
- Does Pete Rose deserve to be in the Baseball Hall of Fame despite allegations? How about OJ Simpson for football?
- Who's the most overrated MLB player?
- Do good pitching beat good hitting or vice versa?
- Why is the College Baseball World Series not as watched and televised as March Madness and College Football Bowl games in sports ?
- Will the 2018 New York Yankee season be considered a failure if they fall short of a world series title?