Hamsters on newspaper bedding?
I currently keep my little Syrian hammie on Carefresh recycled paper bedding (sold at most pet stores), but I recently had a friend mention that she just uses shredded newspaper as bedding for her two dwarf hamsters. I was wondering if shredded paper was suitable and safe for rodents?
- im not sure but i would stick to the carefresh for now because the ink on the newspaper might harm your hamster. It might not be soft enough either.00
- No, shredded news paper is not suitable, and not completely safe. News paper is not at all absorbant, and although it is made from a soy-based ink consumption is still dangerous.
Your best bet is to continue with CareFresh, it's the best bedding out there. If you're finding proper bedding expensive, try a farm feed store. It's sold in bulk there, and should be very inexpensive.
This link will explain further on adequate bedding
- no this is not safe. the ink in the paper can be dangerous for the hamster.00
- Absolutely not! Newspaper is very dangerous to small animals. Not only can they easily get paper cuts from simply walking through their home, but any urine, water, or droppings that come in contact with the paper will activate and release the inks in the newspaper. The inks are highly toxic to them. If the paper is consumed by the animal, the body with absorb the ink (the paper will also expand and clog the intestinal tracts). There are beddings made from recycled newspapers, but they've been processed to remove the ink and sterilize the paper to a safe level for an animal.
I highly recommend sticking to Carefresh. It's a great bedding and well made to be safe for all small animals.10
- yh, i do, it'll proberly just the same as what you have though. paper is better for their breathing and warmth and easy to clean. GO PAPER!00
- I've seen hamsters feet with cuts over them from having to walk on shredded newspaper.. so I'd say no..00
- The ink in the paper can make your critter ill. Newspaper is much cheaper, but Carefresh is healthier and you know there is nothing in it to hurt him. Newspaper isn't very absorbent either, and Carefresh is VERY absorbent.00
- hamsters newspaper bedding00
- It might be better to shred regular paper so you don't have to soak the news paper in water and let it dry... I have 7 dwarf hamsters and that's what I do the seem to enjoy it but they do chew on their bedding.00
- newspaper is not a suitable bedding for hamsters, lots of people use it because it hasn't cause problems with their hamsters, but theres is a bigger number of hamsters that have had problems with it
the ink on the paper is a big issue, if they consume the newspaper, they too ingest the ink, and too much ink can give them stomach problems with over time can kill your hamster
also, newspaper is pretty sharp, we can get paper cuts from it, and so can they, their feet will get cut by an edge and that is painful to have over their little feet =\
plus there isn't much to newspaper, and odor will become a big issue, paper bedding usually needs to be cleaned less than once a week, sometimes every 4 days because it will just smell that bad
newspaper isn't recommended for a safe bedding for hamsters, there are no gaurentees to it, the only time i would say to use it is if u run out of bedding, and go to purchase more regular bedding
carefresh is my favorite type of bedding because it does well with odor and is very safe for them, but the only downside is that it can be a little bit costly, and sometimes a bit dusty, so some other bedding ideas are:
-yesterday's news (like carefresh, but less dusty)
-aspen shavings (never cedar or pine shavings)
-pellets (i have never used it, but there is a pellet type of bedding that is pretty absorbent)
all in all, i would stay stick with carefresh because it is my favorite type of bedding and most people agree that it is the best type of bedding, it absorbs odor very well, comes in colors for some fun, very soft on hamster's feet, and it would slip through the wires of the cage as much as other bedding will, and that usually ends up on the floor10
- URGENT GUINEA PIG DYING?
- Is this normal?
- Urgent: guinea pig sick or not?
- URGENT: HOW TO HELP A GUINEA PIG IN SHOCK?
- Us humans, cannot change the 7 day week. Set down from the creation of the earth. Why is it so?
- Why are my hamsters dying?
- What is the non scriptural explanation for the very human need of a 7 Day week/segment of time?
- Are liberals still in denial of the Clinton's corruption and how we've been duped?
- Why is President Trump surprised that Democrats won't fund his wall?
- I’m worried that my hamster will eat her babies. Will it happen?