There are twelve shrines for Jyotirlinga all over India. They are:
3. Somnath in Gujarat
4. Nageshwar in Gujarat
5. Tryambakeshwar in Maharashtra
6. Bhimashankar in Maharashtra
7. Grishneshwar in Maharashtra
8. Mahakaleshwar(Ujjain) in Madhya Pradesh
9. Omkareshwar in Madhya Pradesh
10. Sree Sailam in Andhra Pradesh
11. Vaidyanath in Jharkand(below Bihar State)
12. Rameshwaram in Tamil Nadu.
For further clarification, go to this link:
Where is the correct Jyothirlinga of Vaidyanath, Nagnath?
There are two versions about Naganath somebody says it is in gujarat and some one says it is maharashtra and vaidyanath in bihar kindly give me the correct place and how to reach from chennai tamilnadu
- A Jyotirlinga or Jyotirling or Jyotirlingam is a shrine where Lord Shiva, an aspect of God in Hinduism is worshipped in the form of a Jyotirlingam or "Lingam of light." There are twelve traditional Jyotirlinga shrines in India. The thirteenth Jyotirlinga is in Mauritius which has about 60% Hindu population.
Actually there are Jyothirlingas in Nagnath in Gujrat as well as at Bhaidyanathdam in Deogarh in Jharkhand. Totlly there are 12 joythirlingas in india and one abroad and the full list is given below. You will find Nagnath and Bhaidnath at sl. Nos.2 and 12 below.
The twelve Jyotirlingas in India
1. Somnath is the foremost of the twelve Jyotirlinga Shrines of Shiva. It is held in reverence throughout India and is rich in legend, tradition, and history. It is located at Prabhas Patan in Saurashtra in Gujarat.
2. Dwarka in Gujarat is home to the Nageshwar Jyotirlinga temple. However, the term "daruka vane" in the shloka (religious verse) for Nageshwar has also been interpreted for Jageshwar, also situated in the Himalaya. Daruka vane means deodar forest.
3. Mahakal, Ujjain (or Avanti) in Madhya Pradesh is home to the Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga temple. The Lingam at Mahakal is believed to be Swayambhu, the only one of the 12 Jyotirlingams to be so. It is also the only one facing south.
4. Srisailam near Kurnool enshrines Mallikarjuna in an ancient temple that is architecturally and sculpturally rich. Adi Shankara composed his Sivananda Lahiri here.
5. Bhimashankar, in the Sahyadri range of Maharashtra, contains a Jyotirlinga shrine associated with Shiva destroying the demon Tripurasura.
6. Omkareshwar in Madhya Pradesh on an island in the Narmada river is home to a Jyotirlinga shrine and the Amareshwar temple.
7. Kedarnath in Uttaranchal is the northernmost of the Jyotirlingas. Kedarnath, nestled in the snow-clad Himalayas, is an ancient shrine, rich in legend and tradition. It is accessible only by foot, and only for six months a year.
8. Varanasi (Benares) in Uttar Pradesh is home to the Vishwanath Jyotirling temple.
9. Trimbakeshwar, near Nashik in Maharashtra, has a Jyotirlinga shrine associated with the origin of the Godavari river.
10. Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu is home to the vast Ramalingeswarar Jyotirlinga temple and is revered as the southernmost of the twelve Jyotirlinga shrines of India.
11. Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga shrine, in Maharashtra, is located near the rock-cut temples of Ellora.
12. Deoghar, in the Santhal Parganas region of Jharkhand, is home to the Vaidyanath Jyotirlinga temple.
The jyotirlinga at Mauritius is the thirteenth and the only jyotirlinga which is outside India.-00
- Please suggest me Unique Places to visit in South India, Which I can't find on the Internet?
- Which Company Provide Best Package From Tirupati to Trivandrum Car Rental Package?
- Which is the Best Car Travel Agency in India?
- In the Tour to Asian Continent, How can I experience a loving India?
- In country india people are charging their vehicles in to my legs making me feel as if i am being molested and raped by vehicle drivers?
- What is Mainland India.?
- Do foreigners visit Goa in August ?
- What is best honeymoon destination in india?
- Do you prefer India or Pakistan?
- How to cross a busy street in India?