What are yams?
And does anyone have any good recipes for them? I would like to try some yams....so, thanks!
- Sweet potatoes are sometimes referred to as yams but true yams do not grow in this country just use sweet potatoes and your recipe will be yummy20
- yams are sweet potatoes.they can be baked in the skin,grated with potatoes and onion ,zuchinni,add,some flour ,1 egg.and drop by the spoonful in hot oil ,not to deep.you can add a bit of cinnamon ,black coarse pepper and salt for taste.enjoy.from mikhal in israel.10
- they are sweet potatos. for a delicious treat cook them, then mash them up and put them in a pan, then put melted marshmellows on top! them cook them a little longer! good good!10
- I like to bake them and put maple syrup on them! Yummy!10
- YAMS ARE SWEET POTATOES SEASONED WITH CINNAMON AND SUGAR AND BAKED 2 SATISFACTION
THEY ARE GREAT WITH COLLARD GREENS AND PINTO BEANS AND CORN BREAD IM FROM DOWN SOUTH THAT'S HOW WE EAT DON'T PLAY10
- They like Sweet potatos, except their outside skin is dark red, where as sweet potatos have brown skin. The interior is similar in color to sweet potatos, only darker orange. Delicious when cooked right and served with butter and brown sugar.10
- Yams are more moist and orange-colored, and sweeter.
Look for smooth, even colored skins; potatoes that are firm and nicely shaped.
"Orange-Glazed Sweet Potatoes" - 4 to 6 servings
2 lbs. sweet potatoes (about 6 medium)
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Heat oven to 400*. Pare sweet potatoes; cut each lengthwise in half. Arrange in ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole.
In small saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch, salt and orange peel. Slowly stir orange juice into sugar mixture. Add butter. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
Pour hot orange juice mixture over sweet potatoes in casserole. Cover; bake 1 hour, basting occasionally.00
- It's another word for sweet potatoes. They are good baked like a regular baked potatoe. Then add butter and cinnamon. They are also in season right now, so they shouldn't be hard to find.00
- Several decades ago when orange flesh sweet potatoes were introduced in the southern United States producers and shippers desired to distinguish them from the more traditional white flesh types. The African word "nyami" referring to the starchy, edible root of the Dioscorea genus of plants was adopted in its English form, "yam". Yams in the U.S. are actually sweet potatoes with relatively moist texture and orange flesh. Although the terms are generally used interchangeably, the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that the label "yam" always be accompanied by "sweet potato." The versatile sweet potato is ideal fare for the health - conscious food consumer. With the ever-growing interest in health and natural foods, the sweet potato is quickly finding its place in the family weekly diet the year around. The sweet potato blends with herbs, spices and flavorings producing delicious dishes of all types. From processed baby foods to the main dishes, casseroles, salads, breads and desserts, sweet potatoes add valuable, appetizing nutrients and color to any meal.
As a main dish or prepared as a dessert, the sweet potato is a nutritious and economical food. One baked sweet potato (3 1/2 ounce serving) provides over 8,800 IU of vitamin A or about twice the recommended daily allowance, yet it contains only 141 calories making it valuable for the weight watcher. This nutritious vegetable provides 42 percent of the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for vitamin C, 6 percent of the RDA for calcium, 10 percent of the RDA for iron, and 8 percent of the RDA for thiamine for healthy adults. It is low in sodium and is a good source of fiber and other important vitamins and minerals. A complex carbohydrate food source, it provides beta carotene which may be a factor in reducing the risk of certain cancers.
For the most food value, choose sweet potatoes of a deep orange color.
When buying sweet potatoes, select sound, firm roots. Handle them carefully to prevent bruising. Storage in a dry, unrefrigerated bin kept at 55-60 degrees F. is best. DO NOT REFRIGERATE, because temperatures below 55 degrees F. will chill this tropical vegetable giving it a hard core and an undesirable taste when cooked.
Wash cured sweet potatoes and bake or boil until slightly soft. If boiled, drain immediately. Thoroughly cool the baked or boiled sweet potatoes. Wrap individually (skins left on) in freezer film or foil and place in plastic freezer bags. Seal, label and freeze.
Most sweet potato dishes freeze well. Save time and energy by making a sweet potato dish to serve and one to store in the freezer.
See the reference page for recipes. I particularly like the orange sweet potatoes commonly called yams in the USA, prepared by peeling, boiling, mashing with a little salt and butter, spread in a casserole and topped with tons of miniature marshmallows and set under the broiler until the marshmallows are toasted and gooey delicious.10
- What is this yellow stuff on the pie?
- Thongs u need for kitchen please help?
- Am I an idiot?
- What air fryer is the best budget, healthier and more convenient?
- Am I an idiot?
- What method of cooking do you prefer to do the most?
- Jam or butter?
- What to do when recipe is high heat but pan keeps over boiling?
- Simple Tomato Sauce and white rice recipe?
- What is the hardest thing to cook?